Professional UI Solutions
Site Map   /  Register

Forum

Please Log In to post a new message or reply to an existing one. If you are not registered, please register.

NOTE: Some forums may be read-only if you are not currently subscribed to our technical support services.

Forums » Elegant Ribbon Tech Support » Resize the ribbon? Collapse All
Subject Author Date
George Faraj Mar 26, 2007 - 12:45 PM

Is it possible to resize the ribbon? I need to make the height a little smaller, but I haven’t been able to change the Height property. I want to change the height of the tab pages, basically.

Thanks,
George

Wim Haanstra Jun 19, 2007 - 2:08 PM

That would be an excellent feature, but I might want to take it step further even. Is it possible to make it sort of ’Auto hiding’ like the panels in Visual Studio?

I researched a couple of Ribbon’s found on the internet, but this one is definitely the best one I encountered.

Technical Support Jun 20, 2007 - 3:09 AM

Thank you for the kind words. The Auto Hide mode is implemented and will be added in v.1.3, which is scheduled for release this week. In this mode the ribbon behaves similar to Auto-Hiding panels in VS. You can enter (exit) this mode by double-clicking the ribbon or pressing Ctrl-F1.

Technical Support Mar 27, 2007 - 4:10 AM

Because child controls in the ribbon have a special layout, you cannot change the ribbon’s size directly. Instead you can try setting different values for Ribbon.Font, Ribbon.SmallImageSize and Ribbon.LargeImageSize properties.

Please note the official 2007 Microsoft Office System User Interface Design Guidelines document contains the following requirement:

"The Ribbon MUST be exactly tall enough to display three vertically stacked controls that use 16x16 pixel icons at 96 dpi."

George Faraj Mar 27, 2007 - 8:11 AM

Changing the image sizes to a smaller value doesn’t seem to change anything, larger values do though. Changing the Font sizes does make the ribbon smaller, but the text now looks too small. I understand this wasn’t something that this control was designed for, but we would like to make it a little smaller if possible. Can you think of other suggestions?

Thanks

Technical Support Mar 27, 2007 - 8:46 AM

The current layout is designed based on the Microsoft guidelines and in fact there is no spare room that can be sacrificed if you would like to have 16x16 icons and a normal text size. There is another feature that we plan to add in one of the next releases: double clicking a ribbon tab makes the ribbon collapsed and double clicking a tab once again makes it restored back. Is this feature can help you workaround what you would like to achieve?