Professional UI Solutions
Site Map   /  Register

Forum

Please Log In to post a new message or reply to an existing one. If you are not registered, please register.

NOTE: Some forums may be read-only if you are not currently subscribed to our technical support services.

Forums » Elegant Ribbon Tech Support » MDI Merging Collapse All
Subject Author Date
Didi Kunz Feb 6, 2007 - 12:51 AM

Hi,

I do not have many references about working examples of ribbon enabled applications, because there are not many yet. But is there a merging of ribbon contents in a MDI application, somewhere? Or is MDI a thing from the past? Or does Elegant Ribbon simply not support MDI merging? Do I make my point clear?

Didi

Technical Support Feb 6, 2007 - 6:57 AM

Of course, it is up to you if you will be using MDI in your application or not. You can use Elegant Ribbon with MDI. As for the merging issue, we think that for ribbon UI applications it would be more natural to use contextual tabs (color highlighted tabs that are hidden or closed depending on particular context conditions) in pair with commands. This doesn’t mean we do not plan to implement MDI merging in the future. We simply consider it a lower priority task at the moment.

We would suggest that you hide/show particular ribbon tabs when a child form gets visible/hidden. Using commands should help you avoid hard dependency between child MDI forms and the main form ribbon.

Steven Gray Feb 11, 2007 - 3:27 AM

I would consider supporting the MDI paradigm with merging to be fairly important, especially since this control is intended to replace a component that does (Menu strips...).