Professional UI Solutions
Site Map   /  Register

Forum

Please Log In to post a new message or reply to an existing one. If you are not registered, please register.

NOTE: Some forums may be read-only if you are not currently subscribed to our technical support services.

Forums » Elegant Ribbon Tech Support » How do I use screentips? Collapse All
Subject Author Date
Steven Gray Feb 12, 2007 - 5:06 AM

Hey,

Quick question. I’ve set up a few screen tips on some menu items on the ribbon, but when I hover over those items the tips do not shot, and I’ve waited quite a while for it. Is there some piece of trigger code I’m missing or a variable I need to set to allow the screentips to show?

Technical Support Feb 12, 2007 - 10:23 AM

We have tested screen tips over menu items both on Windows XP and Vista and everything works fine. You can check this using Elegant Ribbon Ui sample. If you set the mouse pointer over Some Action in the Text Box menu (Home tab), you should see the screentip aproximately in 1 second.

To set up the screen tip for any control, simply fill the properties of the Control.ScreenTip object (Caption, Text, Image). If the problem persists, please send us a project illustrating this issue so we can check this.

Steven Gray Feb 12, 2007 - 12:00 PM

I’m just doing this via the Visual Studio 2005 designer, under the Behavior/Screen-Tip section I’m populating the properties for caption, text and image and when I use the "Click ... to preview" button I’m able to see a nice preview in a popup window. Loading the application and hovering over it yields nothing though.

Potential bug 1: Re-ordering groups via the VS 2005 designer doesnt seem to allow me to re-arrange groups.
Potential bug 2: Moving/Repositioning screentip preview window causes screentip to disappear.
Small issue: Preview window always appears on leftmost monitor of desktop, regardless of the monitor that VS is placed on. Does not remember when it is repositioned.

I’m not doing anything fancy. Interestingly I can’t seem to invoke your screentips via the example programs either (I tried as many of the controls as I could, including ones like Paste which I confirmed in-code as having a screentip specified). My guess is that this is either an issue with RTM Vista, or some problem with multi-display configurations to do with screen coordinatees selection code for rendering (i.e. The tip is rendering, but somewhere offscreen).

Technical Support Feb 13, 2007 - 12:11 PM

We have sent you a zip with updated binaries. All the bugs are now fixed. Re-ordering groups via the VS 2005 designer was not implemented earlier but now is available. Thank you for reporting the problems. We appreciate your help.

Doug Coulson Feb 18, 2007 - 8:17 PM

I have the same problem or similar problem with screentips. I’m using Windows Vista Ultimate but screentips do not show - either on my application (I have filled in the Screentips fields and the preview looks fine) or on the sample Elegant Ribbon application including on the Textbox | Some Action example you referred to with the original developer who reported this problem. Can I also acquire the fix you refer to asap. Thanks, Doug

Technical Support Feb 19, 2007 - 5:36 AM

We plan to release a new version within a week. If you cannot wait, we can only send you the updated dll mentioned in this thread above and in this case you will have to update the Elegant Ribbon dll on your computer yourself.