Professional UI Solutions
Site Map   /  Register

Forum

Please Log In to post a new message or reply to an existing one. If you are not registered, please register.

NOTE: Some forums may be read-only if you are not currently subscribed to our technical support services.

Forums » Elegant Ribbon Tech Support » How to add controls to the non client area Collapse All
Subject Author Date
pascal bosquet Mar 7, 2007 - 7:25 AM

Hi there,

me again :) i checked the doc, and it says

"Figure 6 Custom non-client area of the form window

This is achieved with a skin component (Frame Skinner) (see Figure 7). You can also customize the frame’s skin or even implement the non-client area in your own custom way, for example, by adding additional controls to the title bar."

i checked the samples and the formskiner class , and i don’t see how i can add customs controls in the non client area (like the save or refresh button in word97)

thanks in advance

Technical Support Mar 7, 2007 - 1:57 PM

Yes, we designed the form frame component in the way that allows the developer to customize different aspects of the non-client area. Still, this customization is not so easy like using the VS form designer. We will certainly write an article about how to do that but before we need to perform some refactoring to make the form frame component completely compatible with Vista DWM.

Another part of the issue is what do you want to achieve. the standard Microsoft Ribbon UI specification declares several parts that can be hosted in the non-client area: application button, quick access toolbar (will be added in v.1.2), contextual tab groups, and minimize/maximize/close buttons. If you have some ideas about form frame elements, please tell us so we can consider if we can add it to Elegant Ribbon.

pascal bosquet Mar 8, 2007 - 5:18 AM

great to hear that a sample is on the go ;)

about adding controls in the non client area, i was thinking about a toolbar.

Would it be possible in the future to add the button class as context independant controls ?

regards

pascal

Technical Support Mar 9, 2007 - 5:03 AM

Thank you for the feature request. We will consider adding some kind of toolbar control to the form frame caption so the developer won’t have to write custom code.

As for your second question, we plan to add context support the following controls in the next release:

- Button
- SplitButton
- ToggleButton
- CheckBox
- DropDown
- Label

The following features are also scheduled for the next release:

- QuickAccessToolbar
- Keyboard access with KeyTips
- ApplicationButtonMenu (most probably)